Design-build has been called the oldest form of construction. Some say the practice dates back to 1750 BC, when the Code of Hammurabi gave master builders absolute responsibility for design and construction. Others believe it began even earlier—around 2680 BC — and that Egyptians used design-build to construct the Great Pyramids.
Research conducted by Construction Industry Institute in 2018 indicates that design-build is the best-performing project delivery system in terms of schedule growth (1.7 percent less), delivery speed (102 percent faster over project duration) and construction speed (36 percent faster).
McKim & Creed provides design-build delivery methods that allow our clients to:
- work with a single contractual entity, which can result in fewer change orders, less litigation and better management of risk,
- fast track projects, which saves both time and money,
- leverage opportunities for value engineering and innovation, which can positively influence costs,
- resolve issues and challenges more quickly through frequent and consistent team communication,
- make prompt and well-informed decisions, as both designer and contractor have insight into the site’s unique features and the client’s particular needs and wants, and
- place their trust in a cohesive, collaborative team that is fully invested in their project’s success.